Friday, October 11, 2013

Chufa shooting and lots of seedlings

After a lot of time wondering if I have rotted them off by planting them too early my chufa are starting to shoot.
Chufa (Cyperus esculentus var. sativus) are a type of sedge that produces edible bulbs. They are used for a famous drink in many countries called 'Horchata' but can also be used in other recipes, as well as being used for wild animal food and bait for carp fishing (What a useful plant, lol). Various sources say they taste of hazelnuts or coconut so I am looking forward to tasting them. Apparently they are very nutritious and you can even live off them. They can get a bit aggressive as a weed but not as much as its close relative the yellow nutsedge, but I will still have to be careful to keep it under control.

My chufa shoots are about 3cm tall at the moment. I planted them in two beds but they are only shooting in one of the beds. I'm sure they will appear in the other bed any day now. I just have to be careful not to pull them out with the grass as they look a bit similar at this stage.







Here are just a few of my germinating seedlings. I have colourful Vivid Choi and Michelli cabbage in the trays and pumpkins and melons in the tubes.

Another week and many of them should be ready to plant out. You can see that I am really cutting down the numbers of each of my cucurbit varieties but if not all of them survive I will still be able to plant more seeds.


















2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could get chufas in Australia. Where can I get some seeds from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when I learned they could be imported. I got mine from Baker Creek seeds in the US.

      Delete