Saturday, October 26, 2013

Adding organic matter

After the Hamilton market this morning I decided to get busy with my new(ish) pile of commercial compost. I am sick of losing all the goodness quickly in my sand so I am adding two barrow loads to each bed. It is costing me a lot this year but I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

I got two metres of compost delivered for $110 a week ago. I have already done 3 beds by the time I took this photo so it is a fair bit of stuff.
I have found that this compost does not do a great job as a potting mix but it does hold water and that is what I want in my beds.
I would love to have it tested for nutrients but at $200 when I last checked that is just not going to happen.


This is how the beds look before I put on the compost. Just sand. Heah, I know they need a bit of tidying up at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, the organic matter that I have put on these beds in the past means that plants grow well on them but it dries out so quickly and the organic matter disappears fast.

 After digging in a couple of barrow loads of compost into the top 30cm of another bed. Surely it has to do some good at least. Time will tell.
The worst thing about all the digging is cutting up all the worms. I hate seeing worm halves.


I have to go to the Nareen veg swap tomorrow but when I get back I will finish the compost in the back block and on monday I will probably order some for D block because I have some free beds there. It should help with the nematode problem on that block also.














No comments:

Post a Comment