Thursday, September 5, 2013

Aah, it's good to get out working again

It's lovely to be able to spend all day out working again after the down time of winter.Actually, I like every season as they all bring their pleasures and challenges. The warmer weather means that I am out planting, weeding, and today, giving the citrus a dose of epsom salts to get them healthy after the cold of winter.
Of course there are downsides to spring. The main one is that everything that has not been harvested over winter is now bolting to flower so I am rushing to get some of the root vegetables picked before they go woody.



Here is one of my boxes of red mangles and tomorrow I will be picking some carrots and swedes for the Sandford market on Sunday as I know they won't last till the end of the month for the Hamilton market. Spring is when I don't have much for the markets so I have to top up with some potted plants on the tables.



At least I can look forward to the pots of seedlings popping up now. This is a couple of pots of feijoas and muntries showing themselves.

I have taken a chance and planted a few beds of amaranth today because it grows so fast that I will at least have something for the markets, and it is a great vegetable that keeps customers coming back for more when they have cooked with it.

It is nice to be able to get my coat off and work in a t-shirt, even though I shouldn't be able to yet, the fickle nature of nature. I have to say that I am enjoying this warm weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment