Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A bit sore but happy

I am paying the price for yesterdays hard work, especially after lounging around all winter. I am a bit stiff and sore, especially my bum muscles. You don't realise how much you use those muscles until they are hurting from work.

 My deciduous seedlings are coming awake. I was surprised to see that the first of the American Pawpaws (Asimina triloba) to wake up are some seedlings from 'Grimo'.
I bought these seeds on ebay last year then after I paid for them I kicked myself because they were coming from Canada so I though they would need much more cold hours than we have here to come out of dormancy. I was wrong it seems.
I have half a dozen seedlings in this pot and a few seeds sown directly in the soil in my orchard block. I am impatiently waiting till they get big enough to fruit.




I have half a dozen purple sweet potato cuttings waiting to go out in the ground. In a week I will be fairly confident that we will be over our worst frosts and they can go out.
I am still a bit cynical about he weather as we haven't had the spring frosts that we normally get. I know mother nature is just trying to trick me.








 Here are a few of the plants that will be big enough to go to the Ladybug Nursery in Hamilton in a couple of weeks.
I will be offering a half dozen types to start in the collection then add a few more each month as long as things go well. I will be trying to drum up some customers for them on Facebook so they keep my range.
My first plants in the range will be: Horseradish, American groundnut, oca, yacon, Jerusalem artichoke and Chinese artichoke.

I am getting some others ready for the next few months - perennial leek, coloured silverbeet ( my pastel range), red and white alpine strawberries, Precoce D'Argenteuil asparagus (the best variety around in my opinion) and rhubarb. Later I will have some quandong, yam daisies and Chilean guava to add to the range.












No comments:

Post a Comment