Friday, August 2, 2013

What the!!!

Today my sister Larceny, who doesn't have anything like a green thumb, phoned all distressed.
She had pampered and coddled her little patch of beetroot for the past 5 months and was so proud of them. Today was the day of reckoning and she proudly picked and brought them into the house to make a choc beetroot cake. All was going well, peeled, boiled and mashed. Then sat on the bench to cool.

Well blow me down, she came back to find that her 4 cats had got up on the bench and gobbled the lot, all half a kilo of it. I was flabbergasted, I never would have guessed that cats liked beetroot. You learn something every day. Apparently they looked a bit strange with their pink bibs but my sister wasn't amused at all.




 Well I did my own cooking last night. I know it isn't related to food gardening but I just had to share as these Nutella brownies were so good. I made a double batch but they are all gone now, yummo.

Here is my recipe (the double batch which makes around 24 or so)

2 1/2 cups nutella
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup SR flour
1 banana, mashed

Warm the oven to 180C (350F). Line a slice tray with baking paper. Mix all together to make a firm mix and spoon into the tray. Cook for 15 to 17 minutes, no longer or they may go a bit dry. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. They will be gooey and chewy.

PS, I did give some to the neighbours so I wasn't THAT greedy.



Ok, so I have to add something to this post about the gardens so I took a picture of some perennial leeks. I love these as they are always around so useful to give my customers when there is nothing much else around.

They produce 'babies' around the base of each mature plant and you can just take the little ones out and replant. If you have too many offsets you can use them like spring onions. You can see one of the offsets in this photo.

For some reason perennial leeks don't grow very large for me no matter how I look after them. They are very small compared to regular leeks, but I suppose that if I grow enough of them it doesn't matter.





1 comment:

  1. LOL my cats eat asparagus, they sniff it out from 100 paces and eat the lot

    ReplyDelete