Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mountain pepper and yellow celery

I am growing yellow celery for the first time this year. It has just got big enough to start harvesting which is saying a lot as they are not big plants and the stems are thin but they are interesting.



I got my mother to eat a couple of stalks (I hate celery) and she pronounced it quite acceptable. It is very mild in taste and a bit stringier than 'normal' celery but ok.
Might put some in my boxes next Friday.

I am thinking of trying red celery again. I tryed growing it last year but it kept bolting as seedlings.







Here are three native Mountain Pepper bushes. These grow in cool rainforests in Tasmania and Victorai, and a bit of NSW.
We don't have many native herbs and spices and I think these are the best that we do have. You can use the fresh or dried and powdered leaves or the berries on female plants. I have two females and a male here. I will be getting more later.
The taste is very hot and spicy.
They need good shade and moisture and now that I am covering most of my beds I will plant a bed of them.






A friend of mine convinced me to try soil blocking for my seedlings. I have wondered about it for a while but he gave me 5 blocks to see if they would work with my system here. I have to say that I was impressed and can see how they would be very handy, but then we had a lot of rain last night and disintergrated them with the small seedlings that were in them.
I can see how they would work well under cover where you can control the watering but I don't think the system works for me.
A lot of people swear by them though.

1 comment:

  1. Rowan, persevere with soil blocks, you'll be glad you did.
    They give you great control over nourishment for young seedlings and no transplant shock.
    Sure, keep the rain off them but that is no reason to give up.
    I wouldn't use any other method, even traditional direct sowing seedlings have ended up in my blocks with great success.

    ReplyDelete