Saturday, July 20, 2013

Artichokes and cherry guava

Brrrr, it was freezing and rainy today so I barely went outside, just popped out to get the paper and later to pick up some chairs for the tanning class I am holding in a couple of weeks.

Apart from losing all my cherimoya trees all the rest seem to be handling the cold and frosts well so I am not worried. Luckily the weeds aren't growing any faster then the vegetables with the cold so I don't have to work too hard to keep them under control, though when it warms up I will be swamped with weeding.


I wasn't going to keep growing globe artichokes because they are such a pain, taking up room all year for such a small amount of food, but I just can't help myself.
Last years plants were shooting again a month or two ago so I found myself separating them and planting a long row along the fence around my potted plants. Well at least they do provide some shade in summer.
They are really taking off now.

Because they are such a pain to prepare I just tell my customers to just cut them in half, steam till tender and scoop out the heart. Saves all the fiddling and mess even though it isn't the usual way to use them. I never bother with sucking the leaf bases, that is not food in my opinion.



My tiny little yellow cherry guava bush is ripening some fruits again. These plants always seem to have fruit on them, even now in winter. I love them.
They are very closely related to the 'normal' red cherry guava but oh, so much better and sweeter. I will try to grow a heap from seed in the spring and I think everyone will love them in their boxes.









2 comments:

  1. I've never seen Cherry Guava. So is celtuce strictly a winter crop?

    Your chokes look grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I grow celtuce all year round except at the height of summer.

      You should see my artichokes when they at their full size, the plants are bigger than any others I know, I can't reach the chokes so I have to cut down the stems to get them.

      Delete