Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Today was the Hamburg parsleys turn

Not quite a frost this morning thank goodness so it was a lot easier to get out and do some work before lunch. Actually it was a glorious day and I even took off my coat for a while, an unusual thing for me at this time of year.

One of the main things I did today was dig and sort my Hamburg Parsley roots for seed stock.


I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the roots. They were a good size although some were long and some squat like this one. There were only a few forked ones and only two that would qualify for an ugly vegetable competition.









This was definately the ugliest



Anyway, considering that they were affected with Root Knot Nematode they were pretty good, nematodes often cause bad forking and ugliness. In fact there seemed to be some resistance in some of the roots so when I have enough seed I will start selecting for nematode resistance so I don't have to worry about where I grow them.


I like this parsley, the leaves can be used like parsley though they are a bit more course than 'real' parsley but the roots are tender and good to eat, tasting a bit like parsnip with a hint of parsley. They grow easily, especially now with the cooler weather but don't germinate in hot conditions.

In other news, I now have all my water bills and they are a lot less than I expected *whew* and I have just finished paying them so no more worry until summer as I don't need to use water up till November.
I bought the shadecloth to go on my hoops over the beds. I only bought one 50m roll just in case it doesn't go as well as I expect but if they look ok I will buy a couple more rolls. There goes the profit I was expecting this month.

1 comment:

  1. That is definitely a nice looking parsley root. Can't say mine have ever been that impressively fat.

    ReplyDelete