Friday, June 28, 2013

Scorzonera and boxes

I delivered my veggie boxes again today. One of the vegetables in them was a good bunch of scorzonera. As I dig them I was very happy to see that they looked nice and straight.

There was only two forked ones among the whole lot. This is a lot different than the other bed I had over on D block where I found that they have no resistance at all to root knot nematode, they were so twisted and horrible that I turfed the lot out.
I love scorzonera, it is really ugly but delicious. I hope my box customers agree. I am going to gather as much seed as I can in the summer as I want to grow lots of these. I have one bed in for seed and replanted some smaller ones from this bed as well. They are two different varieties so it will be interesting to see how they perform side by side.

To cook scorzonera I like to boil them till they are just softening (about 7-10 minutes) then let them cool just enough to be able to rub off the skin. Now I chop them into pieces and fry with onion, butter and maybe some lemon juice or some other vegetables. They are even yummy just fried butter as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment