Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yum, pumpkin pie cones

Thinking of something to write for this post, and also deciding on something to cook since it was showery outside today. I was searching for the right thing to make on the internet and came across cooking cake in ice-cream cones. Hmmm, I thought, what about pumpkin pie in a cone. What a good idea since I have a heap of pumpkins in the shed.

There are a few recipes for pumpkin pie ice-cream but not for the real thing in cones and, well, I like to experiment. I popped over to the shops and bought some cones and gave it a go, and it worked. I thought that the sloppy mix might soak the cones but they worked out better than I thought. The cones weren't crisp but they did hold together well after cooking.



I only made half the below recipe just in case it didn't work but the whole recipe will make 12 cones. Here is the recipe I used ( I did change it a bit from the original though).

Ingredients:
12 ice-cream cones
1 kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into chunks
2 large eggs
1 can (400g) sweetened condensed milk
4 tablespoons plain flour
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Whipped cream to serve

Method:
Place the pumpkin in a saucepan with just enough water to cover and boil till tender. Drain off the water and mash. Leave aside to cool completely.

Preheat the oven to 180c. Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the condensed milk then add the pumpkin and spices and whisk briefly. The mix will be runny.

Place the cones in either a cupcake tray or any other tray so they can't tip and spill. Spoon the mix to the top of the cones and place in the oven for 25 minutes. Check to see if the mix is firm, if it is still sloppy bake for another 5 or 10 minutes and check again.

Take out and leave to cool then spoon some whipped cream on top and eat. These won't keep so they should be eaten the same day.

These turned out just as delicious as the pumpkin pie milkshakes I wrote about way back last year.


Oh, and for those that are interested from yesterdays post, my sister seedlings turned out to be weeds. They looked nothing like the beet seedlings I posted a picture of.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I'm going to give them a go. I have one more pumpkin in the barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I forgot to mention is that you need to eat them not long after they come out of the oven or they go a bit soft.

      Delete