Sunday, January 27, 2013

I'm really enjoying the reprieve

It is so good to finally get a little cooler weather, it has been around 25 or less degrees for the past two days and the next few. It gives me the will to get out and do some work.
Here is one of my sunflowers I planted this year. After seeing the one that my sister had come up in her garden I got to wondering why I hadn't thought of growing some to attract bees, and because they look so good.
I didn't really look after my packet of mixed colour sunflower seeds so only a few grew. This is the biggest and the finished flowers have lots of seeds in them. The bees love it so I will definitely be planting more next year, maybe between the rows of melons to give them some shade.

I had this strange looking melon come up in the garden from seeds that were dropped last year. I only grew one long, thin melon last year, Banana, so I think it is a cross between a Turkish melon and Banana. It will be interesting to see what it will be like when it is ripe.


I love volunteers of any vegetables, even if they are crosses they are usually good growers and don't take any looking after. I usually let every volunteer tomato grow where it may, every fruit is one I can sell at the market and I don't have to go through the bother of watering, germinating and planting.

I have to go away to the Colac Heritage festival to help with the donkey display next weekend. I'm so glad that it is still supposed to be cool and I won't have to worry about the veggies. I love going each year but it is a worry at this time of year with the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment