Friday, January 11, 2013

Goodbye to marie

Marie left today and we are so sorry to see her go. She became one of the family and was always eager go give anything a go. It was great while it lasted and I got a lot done while she was here to help. I think I will wait a month or so before I find another helper.

Going to the Rotary market in Mt Gambier tomorrow but I am quite embarrased by the amount and quality of the produce I am taking. It really bought home how much damage those really hot days did to the vegetables. It will take weeks to recover, and perhaps some beds to replant. Oh well, that's how it goes.

The beds of rat-tails are germinating and a few lettuces but all the rest are not showing yet. I am getting worried. I pulled up some scorzonera for the market from a bed that I thought was free of nematodes but their roots were all lumpy and deformed. I think the whole of block D is infected which will really limit what I grow there. It will take a lot of work and money for manure to control it I think. It is really disappointing. At least I know now that scorzonera is not nematode resistant, lol.

I'll survive but I might have to change how I do some things. I am having to water a lot more than I expected but I will just have to pay a bigger water bill as I have found that skimping on water doesn't pay.

Till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment