Sunday, December 23, 2012

Zucchini time again

Well, it is that time of year again - zucchinis coming out my ears. Lucky there are so many delicious recipes for them.

Here is Marie holding a basket of a few we picked this morning, 4 types.


Too bad they all start when there isn't any markets on, well, I could go to the Mt Gambier market to sell some but the cost isn't worth it unless I had a van full of produce. I think I will make some zucchini soup and some bread with them today - and the neighbours will get some I suppose, lol.

Luckily the front has come sooner than expected and we won't be having the boiling day that was expected. It is still about 30 or so degrees outside now but not the 38 that it would have been *whew*

The tomatoes are starting to set now so that will be another thing I will be over-run with. Lucky they will be ripening when the Hamilton market starts as I am not allowed to take them over the border to Mt Gambier. I love heritage tomatoes, they are soooo juicy and flavoursome. People who only know the rocks you get in the supermarket don't realise what they are missing.

We are still busy hand pollinating the melons evey morning

There are quite a few varieties that still haven't set any fruit but I hope they will soon. Some of the plants are still a bit small yet. Marie, and myself I admit, get all excited when we go out in the morning to see how much some of the set fruits have grown. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Just a couple of weeks till the first is ripe I think.

Here is my favourite zucchini slice recipe (from www.taste.com.au) and so easy:


Ingredients
·         5 eggs
·         150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
·         375g zucchini, grated
·         1 large onion, finely chopped
·         200g rindless bacon, chopped
·         1 cup grated cheddar cheese
·         60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil

Method
1.       Step 1
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
2.       Step 2
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.


I make this recipe all the time in the summer and always have a packet of bacon pieces in the freezer for it.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday for yesterday Deb!!!!!!

    My zucchini are still tiny, but that will change quick enough!

    I look forward to meeting Marie tomorrow when we come over.

    ReplyDelete