Sunday, December 16, 2012

Market and Kohlrabi

I didn't have much to sell at the market yesterday but Marie, Margoax and myself had a great time anyway. We sold almost everything and it was great to have some help as many customers always seem to come at once.
I took some kohlrabi, only a few but we still came home with a couple. It was difficult to convince customers that this very ugly vegetable is so delicious, and that is something coming from me who doesn't like eating anything from the cabbage family.
We just finished eating the ones that came home from the market. I prefer them peeled, sliced thin then eaten raw, or with a sprinkle of salt. Yum. Throw them in a salad for something different or make a kohlslaw with them. They can always be cooked like cabbage or turnip as well. I think they taste like a mix of cauliflower and broccoli.
Here is one that is cut in half before we ate it. The variety I grow is 'Giant White' which is still tender even when large. This one was nearly a kilo.



I have another bed of them germinating and I will plant some more after summer to sell in the winter.

Here is marie at the market behind our stall. Her sister Margaux will be leaving this afternoon to go back to France but Marie will stay on till the middle of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment