Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Melons, melons, melons

Well, it is the first week in October, time to plant all my melons and pumpkin seeds. It is going to take a few days to get all 50 or so varieties in my melon paddock but I will get there.

No particular theme this year, there are melons from all over the world - plenty of new ones I haven't grown before as well as some favourites from last summer. I just hope my season is better than the last one. Last year was so hot and dry that most of the plants aborted their female flowers so I got a pitiful harvest. I hope I get enough melons this year to stage a melon tasting weekend.

I have joined www.farmhousedirect.com.au which allows people to buy fresh produce directly from farmers. It will take a month to get my shopfront there up and running because I am not producing much right now but I hope this becomes a useful resource. It is a great idea. I might start off selling some dried gourds and food plants on there first until my vegetables get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment